Thoracic cancer treatment is personalized for each patient. Once a diagnosis is obtained, a treatment plan is created according to the tumor stage, treatment options and patient preferences, and overall health. The Rod Taylor Thoracic Care Center provides evaluations and treatment by experts in the field of oncology and minimally invasive surgery. Early detection and treatment of lung cancer and other thoracic tumors are essential to achieving the best possible outcome. Accurate staging or evaluation of the tumor extent is key to selecting the best treatment. Understanding personalized treatment options and working closely with the referring physician, we are often able to provide prompt diagnosis and treatment with the least impact on quality of life. Coordination of care with oncologists and other specialists is essential to explore every option available for treatment. Our goal is quality of life, and we provide numerous services to help your patient throughout the entire process including rehabilitation, genetic counseling, integrative medicine, and connected care. Nurse navigators assist your patient through every step, making their journey as seamless as possible. Our thoracic surgeons are specialty trained in cancer surgery and minimally invasive techniques and are among the most experienced in Central Florida. Radiation therapy uses state of the art technology including the only Proton Beam Therapy Center in Central Florida and a highly skilled team of experts. Our medical oncologists are dedicated only to the treatment of lung cancer and have the most advanced treatments, clinical trials and immunotherapy, with the goal of eliminating or reducing the side effects of chemotherapy.
The Thoracic Care Center has the largest team of surgeons in Central Florida who are specially trained in advanced surgery of thoracic tumors and focused only in the practice of non-cardiac general thoracic surgery. For lung cancer and esophageal cancer patients, our goal is simple: to provide the best possible treatment using the least invasive approach. Our team of experts specializes in minimally invasive thoracic and robotic surgery and are pioneers in performing less invasive procedures in Central Florida. Our surgeons were the first in the area to perform robotic thoracic surgery using the da Vinci® Surgical System. We work with other cancer specialists to form a multidisciplinary team in order to customize the optimal diagnostic and treatment plan for each patient. Our team has particular expertise in the work up and management of abnormal chest X-rays, scans, lung nodules, and masses. We also have expertise in the minimally invasive treatment of benign esophageal disease, such as hiatal hernia repair, Heller myotomy, anti-reflux surgery, and LINX® procedure. Being able to perform both endoscopic and traditional surgical approaches, work up and treatment may be streamlined to achieve results more quickly and easily with less discomfort for your patients.
Our services include:
- Lung cancer screening program
- Lung nodule and lung cancer diagnosis program
- Advanced interventional bronchoscopy for diagnosis and staging
- Lung cancer surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery (VATS and laparoscopy)
- Robotic Assisted surgery, Epicenter
- Esophageal cancer diagnosis and staging
- Minimally invasive esophageal surgery and esophagectomy
- Benign esophageal surgery
- Anti-reflux surgery and Lynx procedure
- Surgery for achalasia and benign conditions
- Chest wall resection and reconstruction
- Surgery for masses or tumor of chest cavity or mediastinum
Chemotherapy uses powerful drugs to destroy cancer cells. Sometimes it is given before surgery to shrink the size of the tumor, making it easier for the surgeon to remove the cancer. Chemotherapy also may be necessary after surgery if the cancer appears likely to return or spread to another part of the body.
Common side effects of chemotherapy include nausea, vomiting, hair loss, fatigue and an increased risk of infection. Other side effects may include damage to the heart and kidneys, premature menopause, nerve damage and blood cell cancer, although these are extremely rare.
Medical Oncology also includes:
- Advanced chemotherapy options
- Targeted oral chemotherapy options*
- Genetic testing and tumor profiling
- Personalized cancer therapy
- Clinical trials*
*If medically necessary
Radiation therapy is a key part of treating cancer and is often used following surgery. This therapy involves using high-powered energy beams to target and kill residual cancer cells. It also may be used to alleviate symptoms resulting from advanced-stage cancer.
The most common form of radiation therapy is known as external beam radiation. This involves using a machine that directs energy beams at the part of your body affected by cancer. Alternatively, radiation may be performed by placing radioactive material inside your body, a process known as brachytherapy.
Radiation therapy causes side effects such as fatigue and a temporary rash at the treatment site.
Radiation Therapy also includes:
- Proton Beam Therapy*
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy*
- Targeted stereotactic Radiation therapy (SBRT)*
*If medically necessary
At Orlando Health research-supported complementary approaches to symptom and distress management are available to patients who would like to try them or who have already benefitted from them in the past. These approaches are generally not reimbursable by insurance. For a full listing of currently available approaches and prices please call the Department of Integrative Medicine at 321.841.5056.
- Acupuncture is a technique in which practitioners stimulate specific points on the body most often by inserting thin needles through the skin.
- Oncology Massage therapy includes many different techniques in which practitioners manually manipulate the soft tissues of the body.
- Most meditation techniques, such as mindfulness meditation or transcendental meditation, involve ways in which a person learns to focus attention.
- Relaxation techniques, such as breathing exercises, guided imagery, and progressive muscle relaxation, are designed to produce the body's natural relaxation response.
- Tai chi and qi gong are practices from traditional Chinese medicine that combine specific movements or postures, coordinated breathing, and mental
- The various styles of yoga used for health purposes typically combine physical postures or movement, breathing techniques, and meditation.
- Other examples of mind and body practices include healing touch and hypnotherapy.